We've done it as well.

I echo Tim's comment, and cannot stress it enough.  It must be an
Unloaded Pair.

Many people have had success with asking for an alarm circuit.

You basically want one pair of copper wire with no equipment in between.
No load coils. (This is the hard part)

If you have trouble getting it to work, ask them to do a load coil test.

Also, another item to be aware of.  You need to take in account the
distance from building A to the local CO, them from the local CO to
building B.  Phone wires typically don't go building to building.