I've always used a Cisco a/b/g card with the site survey tool that comes with it, either on a laptop or iPAQ.  It gives signal strength, noise level, and signal-to-noise ratio.  Some will tell you this might not be the best way to do it, but it has worked for our purposes.  I usually couple this with a web-based bandwidth tester to see what kind of actual bandwidth I get at the places I take my readings.

Nathan

Nathan P. Hay
Network Engineer
Computer Services
Cedarville University
Office: 937-766-6516
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.cedarville.edu

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 5/5/2006 11:19 AM >>>

I am looking for the best free or really inexpensive (less then $1,000)
site survey tools available.  Our network is B/G we have MACs/Windows
Laptops or IPAQs available.  Any suggestions?

Martin D. Flagg
Network Engineer/Administrator
Hiram College