All,

I'm polling the list about an idea that I would like to test
in our dormatories. If anyone has done a similar project out
there, would you mind sharing your experience.

Our dormatories have one port per pillow (10/100), and no wireless
except in a few lobbies. As of today, it is a private wireless jungle
since many students are bringing their own APs.
3 solutions seem to emerge:
-let the jungle be (security risks)
-control the jungle by enforcing compliant configurations for private APs
 (support nightmare)
-provide "free" wireless from the University
 (cost)

A significant portion of the cost of installing a WLAN is the switch port,
the circuit installation and the power over ethernet port.
Well, one could bypass a bunch of these costs (switch port,
circuit, PoE and reduce the AP cost) by deploying Linksys WRT54GL (the key
being the built-in switch!)
and load an OPENWRT code version which provides VLAN/SSID with 802.1x and
even Mesh. We would connect the WRT54GL in the existing port in the room and
use a regular AC port in the room for power. If necessary a $5 power strip
could be considered!
To replace the borrowed port we would allow the student to connect
to the 4 ports switch built-in the WRT54GL. Those units would be SNMP
monitored, and we could even consider an inexpensive enclosure as well.
The savings would be considerable (from $300,000 with an enterprise
solution to about $60,000 with a Linksys solution.

What could go wrong with this plan.
-Shelve life (those units will be in air conditioned bedrooms not
 overheated drop ceilings)
-Theft (at $70 MSRP per unit, even 50 units per year wouldn't be a big
  deal!)
-Reliability (anyone out there has tested this?)
-Management (we have our own management solution that can easily take care
 of any style of AP)
-Abuse (disconnection of the AC or Cat5)
-Unreliable OPENWRT code
-Lack of support (with the savings we could hire a dedicated coder and
 contribute to the opensource initiative ;-)

This sounds somehow too easy. What's the catch?

Thank you in advance for your input,
(no sales please!)

Philippe Hanset
University of Tennessee