From: Stan Brooks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 11:51 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Linksys APs as enterprise solution

Ethan,

I can't speak to how Meru handles L3 roaming, but I can tell you that
Aruba's L3 roaming method works quite well, and without any software
installed on the client.

Aruba handles the L3 roaming internally using a technique similar
(identical?) to Mobile IP - but with the "client" functionality handled
on the central controller(s).  That is, clients retain the IP address
they were assigned (usually from a DHCP server) when they roam AP to AP.

There are two basic scenarios - the first is roaming from AP to AP on
the same controller.  This is easy as the controller puts the client in
the same VLAN they originated in, preserving their IP address and
connectivity, as they roam AP to AP.

The second scenario is a bit more difficult: when a client roams from an
AP on one controller to another AP on a second controller.  When the
client roams, the second controller will tunnel the traffic back to the
first controller.  The client effectively remains in the same VLAN and
has the same IP address as when it first connected to the wireless network.

Emerson Parker, who lurks on the list, can probably give you a better
and more technical explanation than I've done here.  It works
flawlessly; I can roam all over campus without losing or changing my IP
address.  Seamless roaming ROCKS!

 >>-> Stan Brooks - CWNA/CWSP
      Emory University
      Network Communications Division
      404.727.0226
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM: WLANstan  Yahoo!: WLANstan  MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]