From: Foggi, Nicola [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 10:19 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] WPA or VPN

This past summer we went through this discussion also, and ultimately decided on the VPN solution, in our case an SSLVPN solution vs a traditional IPSEC solution.  For us it came down to ease of use for the user (mainly students) and ease of support for our helpdesk.  We had a couple of things of which the following were a couple:

- we didn't want to have the user to need to install a client, most of our users logon to the web page of the sslvpn and then are deployed either the activex or java client, however, we are writing instructions to allow users install the actual fat client as it seems to be a painless install.
- we wanted to be able to intergrate the security checks into the vpn appliance (so we didn't have to do a seperate nessus scan/etc)
- since we are distributed across many campuses, we wanted a solution that could be centralized
- we needed to support windows/mac/linux and at least some PDA's, we don't require students to have any certain laptop or operating system, so we wanted to support as many as we could
- we wanted to come up with something secure enough but easy enough for the user to get onto, we wanted to abandon the WEP key, hidden SSID, and home grown auth system for something secure enough to remove the WEP key but still keep the traffic encrypted and broadcast the SSID.
- we wanted support to be easy (no user setup) and could allow some access to resources for information about the wireless prior to auth'ing to it

There were some others that I'm probably forgetting...

So far things have gone good.  We see some people use the fat SSLVPN client, but most use the web deployed one.  Dealing with student laptops, we run across the typical problems with them with spyware and norton internet security that's ultra secure it doesn't let any traffic through, and typical windows problems, but everything else is far better support wise.

One nice thing is the fact that it's an activex/java agent that runs the security checks, so we are able to check for the patch even if the firewall is enabled, so we've seen large number of machines that would of continued to go unpatched finally get patched, and hopefully educated the user a bit while doing it.

So for us the VPN solution we are quite happy with and have had a peak of 450+ simultaneous users on it so far without any problems, we're expecting that to grow to probably around 700 simultaneous connections over the next couple of months as people convert off the old WEP based system.

Nicola

PS - There was a thread about this a couple of months ago (June/July) the start of that thread is here http://listserv.educause.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0606&L=WIRELESS-LAN&P=R1659&I=-3