I started responding to the thread titled "The strategic importance of
802.11a" an quickly got off topic.  Frank covered that topic quite well, so
I'd like to change the subject from "g" vs. "a" to 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz.

I'd like to discourage the use of 2.4GHz, 802.11n APs.  Since we all have to
buy new hardware for 802.11n anyway, this is probably our best opportunity
to get away from all the limitations of the 2.4GHz band.  I believe the best
way to avoid migration path issues from "a/g" to "n" will be to roll out
802.11n at 5GHz and retain 802.11g for legacy clients.  I'm concerned that
because MIMO APs cost more and dual-band APs cost more, dual-band MIMO APs
will cost much more.  A substantial premium for dual-band, 802.11n APs will
lead people to buy single-band devices.  If we're counting on "n" to support
legacy clients, that band will have to be 2.4GHz.  If we get any significant
distance down that path, we may be stuck at 2.4GHz until the next technology
comes out.  I know the standard is being developed around backward
compatibility, but that doesn't mean we have to use it.  If we can convince
vendors that we don't need 802.11n to support legacy clients there's hope
for affordable 5GHz 802.11n.

I can envision two ways to support legacy clients without using 802.11n.
One is to leave our existing 802.11b/g infrastructures in place for legacy
clients.  I know none of us want to support two infrastructures, but until
we replace everything we'll be doing that anyway.  We can hope that the
advantages of 802.11n will be so great that everybody will upgrade their
clients before the roll-out is even completed (yes, I'm being
uncharacteristically optimistic).  The other is ask manufacturers to provide
a relatively cheap 802.11g radio in a 5GHz, 802.11n AP.  The obvious
drawback to that is paying extra for a radio we hope not to use, but it
shouldn't be a tremendous premium.

I hope to get lots of feedback on this, even if it's just to tell me I'm
nuts.  I've been saying for years that the future is at 5GHz, but I fear
we're in danger of missing another opportunity to exploit that potential.

Chuck Enfield
Sr. Communications Engineer
Penn State University
Telecommunications & Networking Services
110 USB2, UP, PA 16802
Ph. (814) 863-8715
Fx. (814) 865-3988