From: Lee H Badman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 3:16 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Multiple VPN Connections through home router

Not your typical WLAN question.

We use L2TP/IPSec VPN for remote access into campus for home users,
travelers, vendors, etc. Other than secure remote access, we also like to
tout this as a way to secure home wireless network sessions for those who
don't otherwise turn on their security options. Here's the problem: we have
a growing number of cases where multiple (usually 2, like spouses or
roommates) users attempt to VPN through the consumer class SOHO routers
(wired and/or wireless). When more than one session is attempted, either the
first is the only one that works, or the first gets bumped.

We have done some research on units that promise multiple session
pass-through (like DLink's WGT624, for example) but are not having luck. So-
wondering if others have the same problem with remote users and multiple VPN
sessions through the SOHO boxes, and if you have found a model or two that
are friendly to multiple sessions (without fixing IP addresses and doing
port forwarding/triggering).

Thanks much-

Lee

Lee H. Badman