________________________________

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jamie Savage
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:15 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Open Wireless in Higher Ed

We use a captive portal scenario with Bluesocket boxes.  The Bluesocket
boxes redirect the user to a login page and verifies the
account/password combination via RADIUS.

................................J

James Savage                                   York University

Senior Communications Tech.       108 Steacie Building
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                            4700 Keele Street
ph: 416-736-2100 ext. 22605            Toronto, Ontario
fax: 416-736-5701                                M3J 1P3, CANADA

Daniel Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

03/26/2008 07:54 AM

Please respond to
The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

cc

Subject

[WIRELESS-LAN] Open Wireless in Higher Ed

We are looking at technologies such as Radius, Cisco Clean Access, etc.
to require our wireless client to authenticate to our network.
Currently we have an open, unsecured wireless network.  What are you
Higher Ed institutions implementing to make sure that only valid users
are using your wireless networks?  If your policy is to do nothing then
please indicate that as well.

Thanks

Daniel R. Bennett
CompTIA Security+