-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Cal Frye
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:15 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Open Wireless in Higher Ed - CALEA

Daniel Eklund wrote:
> We require all off-campus access to authenticate via our captive
portal, so
> we don't have an issue with CALEA.  We have developed an application
that
> allows students, faculty and staff to create time limited sponsored
guest
> IDs and I'd be willing to share that code with the group.

What he said...

Our legal folks feel that by limiting access to those known to us
(including visitors), we are not a public network and can claim an
exemption from CALEA compliance. You'll have to talk this over with your

own legal folks; they're going to be the ones representing you, they
need to be in on the discussion.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

    www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am
large, I contain multitudes.)" -- Walt Whitman [1819-1892], Song of
Myself, 1855.