Good Afternoon,

We are looking at moving one of our wireless SSIDs into a Guest type service
that allows certain encrypted, authenticated and authorized TCP/UDP ports. We
plan on configuring this with an FWSM facing our Internet connection so that we
are treating clients on this SSID like guests with more access, but still
somewhat restricted.

My question is; has anyone accomplished this without using VRFs to route the
traffic to the FWSM and if so did you employ the Guest Anchor controller model
specified in the CISCO 4.1 Wireless Deployment Guide. My suspicion is that this
may be accomplished without utilizing the Anchor/Foreign controller model and
without using VRFs.

The only document that I have found that specifically refers to integrating the
FWSM with the WiSM is at the following link and specifies VRFs as part of the
solution.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/wism/technical/reference/appnote.html#wp41069

My local CISCO SE indicated that this could be accomplished by simply passing
the VLAN traffic through a context on the FWSM. It sounds great in theory, but
I am having trouble locating proper documentation that illustrates this
specifically. Since it's a design issue, Cisco TAC will not engage, they only
help fix what is already in place.

Feel free to contact me offline if necessary.

Thanks a million for any input/experience that you may share with us.

John V. Duran
University of New Mexico
Network Analyst
ITS/Network Communications/Data Services
Ph: (505) 249-7890
Fax: (505) 277-8101