John,
It sounds like what you want to do is setup a new FWSM context in transparent
mode to bridge the vlan through the firewall as a layer-2 bridging firewall.
Essentially, you use vlan tricks so you have the vlan for the inside that the
wism is on, and then another vlan on the outside where you do your routing as
the gateway.  The FWSM would sit in-between the two vlans and bridge them
together applying the firewall rules.  See the notes on transparent mode:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm22/configuration/guide/quick.html
Pretty much everything you want to focus on is on the FWSM side, and treat the
WiSM side like it was an open network with the gateway on the other vlan on the
other side of the FWSM.
Having said all of that, is there any reason you have to avoid VRFs?  That is
the solution that we setup and it works extremely well. We like our firewalls
to route rather than bridge, and the VRF setup, while strange at first, is
extremely powerful with the FWSM.  We use VRFs for our perimeter networks,
highly secure networks etc and let the FWSM sit between them all as different
virtual firewalls.  If you trunk point to point vlans to your other routers on
campus (with each vlan routing point to point for different VRFs), you can have
multiple distinct networks on campus running OSPF that must come back to the
FWSM to reach any other part of the network.  That way you don't have to extend
vlans everywhere just to get something behind the FWSM.  Just something to
think about.
The only caveat with multiple contexts on the FWSM, transparent or routed, is
that above 3 contexts or so you have to purchase an additional license.
Hope this helps.
--
Jonathan Yantis