1) What solution did you select? IDEngines Ignition Server

2) How easily did it integrate with you existing infrastructure?
Ignition is totally standards based, basically its a really powerful,
easy to configure radius server nothing new, just well thought out
RADIUS and TACACS+ server with easy to use, powerful, graphical rules
building.

3) What is you existing infrastructure and wireless solution? Aruba , HP
Procurve 420 and Proxim 4000

4) How well has it performed? Quite nicely, again its just RADIUS was
that we chose to roll it out campus wide using a captive portal to
deliver the
Auto-connect client over an clear open SSID. After that, the
Auto-Connect client made the settings changes to Windows or Mac, and
forced the wireless card to the new network.

5) If you had to do it again would you select the same product? yes

6) What were the success and failures of the deployment?  We'll let you
know in two weeks :) after school starts but with the test cases, its
been a total non event. in all honesty I wouldn't do it without Auto-
Connect Microsoft has done Admins a huge dis-service by not integrating
wired and wireless (I know wireless is) into group policy.

7) What was the impact on your technical staff to prepare for
deployment? Minimal but we chose to roll out 802.1x with auto-connect ,
another product created by IDEngines it automated the choices for the
end user. if the user has issues, re apply auto-connect and all is well,
very, very few have required additional troubleshooting, provided that
the devices are windows XP, Vista, or OSX. and of the problem clients
are usually just a driver upgrade away from working.

8) How well does it scale? It appears to scale well, the Ignition server
has a HA(high availability) port and Cluster type central management, we
only have one server as we're a small school  +/- 4000 students so
scaling really wasn't an issue; even if all of our student body shows up
on campus and demands wireless we would have the daily user base load of
some of the larger schools (and we wouldn't have the AP capacity to
support them).

9) How are the management tools and maintenance for the solution?
Management is great, Support from the vendor was and is phenomenal.

Additionally, we chose to roll it (802.1x) out to the wired ports as
well lending its own set of issues but i'll not catalog those here.

--
Jason Appah
Operating Systems/Network Analyst II