1) What solution did you select?

Impulse's SafeConnect

2) How easily did it integrate with you existing infrastructure?

Very easy. Ran a few commands on our core (set up SFlow & PBR), and
plugged it in. Configuring the policies to check for on students
machines took longer than the infrastructure setup. Integrating with
wireless was a non-issue as no extra steps were necessary to activate it
on the wireless vlan.

3) What is you existing infrastructure and wireless solution?

Wired:Alcatel 9800/6850/6800  Wireless:Alcatel OAW-6000

4) How well has it performed?

No major issues so far. Configuration tweaks every so often but nothing
big

5) If you had to do it again would you select the same product?

Yes

6) What were the success and failures of the deployment?

The worst part was the first year we deployed it and all the students
that had viruses/spyware that caused issues installing the items we
require (patches, AV, AS, etc...). It wasn't too bad, but it did take
longer the first year than subsequent years.

7) What was the impact on your technical staff to prepare for
deployment?

Outside of training helpdesk users on how to handle issues, the impact
was minimal. The majority of the time was spent by me configuring the
policies and wording exactly how we wanted them

8) How well does it scale?

The NAC uses SFlow data from the routers to recognize users, and adds
Policy Based Routing to the routers to "quarantine" users, therefore the
traffic passes across our enterprise lan, and not through a NAC
Appliance. Because of this, it scales as much as our routers do.

9) How are the management tools and maintenance for the solution?

 Management tools are great, and allow very specific customization of
exactly what is checked for and what message the end user sees.

Thank a million,

John V. Duran
University of New Mexico
Network Engineer

ITS/Network Communications/Data Services
Ph: (505) 249-7890
Fax: (505) 277-8101