We didn't pick the single channel architecture for two reasons:

-IEEE 802.11 was designed with small cells in mind, that's the standard! Though, creating large one channel cells works with 802.11 hosts, nothing guarantees that it will work in the future. Also, as Bruce mentioned, the one channel design is not very tolerant to interferences from neighboring 802.11 networks that one doesn't control (if your one cell is on channel 1 and a channel 1 neighbor is interfering, how do you adapt? you spend your time adapting, comparing to a multi-channel design with controllers that will adapt for you! The bursting capability of 802.11n is also diminishing the Time Division advantage of a 1 channel design!

-Second: at the time of our study (18 months or so ago), Meru didn't have an IP mobility solution. Large layer2 networks was their answer. Been there, done that, it scales up to 2000-3000 users Max and the Wireless quality lost by Broadcasting is huge.

Philippe Hanset
Univ. of TN