Ethan,

We are currently testing the HP MSM (formerly Colubris) wireless controllers
and access points. We have 27 MSM422 access points deployed in a production
environment attached to a couple of MSM765 controllers.

As Patrick points out, the HP solution does allow both centralized and
decentralized approaches. Given what we have observed at this time, I would
recommend a decentralized approach using WPA2 or WPA enterprise. There is a
bandwidth penalty for tunneling traffic back to the controller rather than
bridging it at the AP. HP is working on improving this.

Unlike previously suggested, it will *not* take a lot of controllers to meet
your requirements. A single MSM765 controller can be licensed to support 200
APs (which is roughly what you are looking at). There is no N+1 controller
configuration at this time (I anticipate that this will be coming shortly), but
you can configure your APs to act in a similar manner by giving them a list of
controllers in order of preference. You could get by with three MSM765's. That
will give you a redundant controller and two production controllers capable of
support up to 200 APs each. Until an N+1 strategy comes out, you will be stuck
paying for licenses that sit unused on your backup controller. The MSM765
form-factor is a module that fits into your existing HP switches.

The HP solution does not support IPv6, and I suspect it will not for quite
awhile. This seems to me a serious drawback in the R&E community. If you bridge
wireless traffic local at the AP, then you can easily pass IPv6 traffic.
However, you will need to look at placing filters at the switch uplink to the
AP or at your router, as the wireless system is not IPv6 aware.

We have run into wireless client density issues. There is no load balancing nor
band steering capabilities built into the product, so you are completely at the
mercy of the wireless client with respect to which AP the client lands on. We
have not had success in simply limiting the number of clients that can join
radios. At this time, the production code only allows you to limit this at an
SSID level (i.e., the same number is applied to both a/n and b/g radios, and it
is done so uniformly across all APs on a controller), but there should be a
huge improvement on this in the near future.

We have had issues with basic channel selection on the product, but we are
hoping to have a short-term fix for that built into the product soon. Functions
related to RF are not centrally coordinated.

The CLI on the controller is definitely not the shining star of this product
line. The GUI is okay, but it sometimes takes multiple steps to get information
you would think should appear on a summary screen (i.e., when looking at a list
of wireless clients, the info does not include the username... you have to
drill down to get that info, which is time consuming when troubleshooting a
problem that effects many users). There are several other quirks with the GUI
(like forms canceling instead of being submitted when you hit "return") that
make it annoying, but for the most part you can do what you need to do. There
are also some legacy constructs and terminology that will take some getting
used to, which are leftovers from the product's early days.

I think with only ~200 APs, this is a usable system. We are trying to support
>4000 APs, and we are still working with HP to make the product scale a little
better to that number of APs and the number of users we have. HP engineers have
added several features for us (not in production code yet).

If you want any more details or have some specific questions, feel free to
contact me (on or off list).

Thanks.

-Jason