From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Chuck Enfield [chu...@psu.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 6:18 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Band Steering?

I'd like to suggest that band-steering isn't causing this problem, it's
just making it more apparent.  Presumably, we all want 802.11n clients
on 5GHz because performance and capacity are greater in that band.  The
use of band-steering suggests agreement on this point.  In that case, it
seems fair to say the root cause of the problem is having coverage gaps
in the preferred band.

In my experience with dual-radio networks, in locations where the 5GHz
signal is unusable the 2.4GHz SNR will probably be 8dBm or less and SIR
is likely to be even worse.  In other words, where's there's no 5GHz
there will only be poor 2.4GHz.  If 5GHz is where we want to play on
802.11n, then that's the band for which we should be designing our
coverage.  If Aruba were to adjust their implementation, (and from the
discussion it seems like they should) you would likely get fewer
complaints of no connection, but you'll have even more clients with a
poor connection.  It may be better, but it's not exactly fixed.  In the
long run, filling in the 5GHz coverage gaps seems like the only real
solution.

Now that I've alienated you, let me make a feeble attempt to be helpful.
I'm going to spell out my thinking because I don't know the answer.
Instead, I'll suggest what may be a different way of looking at the
problem.

It seems like any good band-steering implementation should know what
clients are 5GHz enabled and when they are within range of a 5GHz radio.
Assuming Aruba collects that info, it would be stored in a table
somewhere and updated at some interval.  The problem could be caused by
the controller taking too long to learn that the client is out of 5GHz
range.  Shortening the refresh interval could improve the situation.
Unfortunately, I don't know which interval to shorten, or if the
necessary interval can be shortened enough to stop this problem without
causing a different problem, such as choking the bandwidth or
overburdening the processor.  I don't have much experience with the
Aruba Controllers, but you might investigate the AM Poll Interval or the
ARM Scan Interval.  Maybe you can think of others.  It's probably not
realistic to reduce the scan interval much below 10 seconds, but
depending on the network conditions it may be reasonable to reduce the
AM Poll Interval way below the 1 minute default.  Of course, even if you
find the right variable and can reduce it sufficiently, you won't be rid
of the problem.  The best you can hope for is that it will be brief
enough that few clients will notice.

Chuck Enfield
Sr. Communications Engineer
Telecommunications & Network Services