Lee,

Since the installed base is not big in the US (15 institutions), it's hard to
gauge a real demand/usage.
I can give number like "thousands of authentications" but in term of unique
users it is not more than 20-30 per week.
We did provide eduroam at the last Internet2 member meeting and got 50+ users
to join out of 700 participants.
No bad for a first time, and no helpdesk call at all (all done with Cisco FAT
APs).
The highest traffic that we see for the US federation is between LSU and LSU
Health.
In that particular case eduroam is an attractive way of connecting two
different 802.1X
domains.

As a side note, I wish all our incoming students new about eduroam!
Yesterday, first day of class, our visitor network was down due to lack of IP
addresses.
Most of our incoming students for some strange reason had decided to join the
visitor network and the 1000 or so IP addresses
were not enough to respond to the demand. With 802.1X (and in this case the
eduroam SSID),
you don't get an IP address until you really mean to connect!
Maybe we need to rename our visitor SSID "donotconnect" instead of "ut-visitor"
;-)

Philippe