Shouldn't Universities foot the Wi-Fi bill and make AT&T pay to carry the SSID?
(AT&T needs that capacity anyway if they want to service those thousands of
people
with smartphones)
That will give Universities the freedom to carry additional services when the
time comes.

Another thing to remember: AT&T has limits on their 3G data plan of 2 Gigs (or
4 Gigs if you a have the hotspot plan)
(with the exception of grandfathered customers that have unlimited plans)

Verizon and Sprint provide unlimited data over 3G on smartphones.

So, it is in the interest of AT&T customers to join Wi-Fi if they don't want to
exhaust their quotas and pay $10/extra Gig.
Looking at these 2 cost models (Sprint/Verizon VS AT&T),  it looks like AT&T
needs the Wi-Fi capacity to sustain the demand.
Or is it that they just want to provide a better experience on 3G and offload
data as much as possible to Wi-Fi
by providing incentives?

I experienced a few days ago an interesting problem: I was trying to download
an iTunes album
and received a message warning me that files larger than 20 Mbytes have to be
downloaded over Wi-Fi.
This was with an iPhone on AT&T.
Not being in proximity of a free Wi-Fi hotspot, I had to turn on the hotspot
feature of my iphone, and use iTUnes
on my laptop, over the same 3G network. No limit this time ;-)

Why is AT&T so afraid of data usage?

Philippe