On 09/19/2011 11:04 AM, Ray DeJean wrote:
> All,
>
> We don't currently provide wireless in our dorms, and our official
> policy is to not allow students to bring their own wireless devices.  We
> don't actively enforce this policy though, and as long as the students'
> device isn't causing problems, they typically don't hear from us.  (We
> do provide at least a 100mbps wired connection to each student).
>
> We are considering changing our policy to allow BYOD (bring your own
> device) in the dorms.   I know lots of students already BYOD, but we're
> not policing it.  We're considering the costs associated with deploying
> our Aruba system to all the dorms, and the fact that students are going
> to BYOD anyway.   Rather than fight them, allow it.  We'll secure our
> wired network obviously, but also have workshops and online instructions
> to show the students how to properly connect and secure their device.
> Of course we realize the interference issues that may arise in a crowded
> 2.4ghz space...
>
> The University of Wisconsin-Madison
> (http://www.housing.wisc.edu/resnet/gameConsoles.php) already has a
> policy like this in place.   Just looking to hear from other
> universities who have or are considering a policy such as this.

You don't mention what kind of network architecture you have - if you're
using a relatively flat topology, with comingling of residence hall,
administrative, and academic traffic, be sure that you've got technology
and procedures in place to shut down misconfigured endpoints.

Nobody will be happy when they start getting RFC1918 addresses from the
DHCP server on little Timmy's free-with-rebate Linksys AP.

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  grac...@canisius.edu