From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] on behalf of Garry Peirce
[pei...@maine.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 3:17 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless in dorms

2 cents from someone in a similar boat.

Unfortunately, some of our campuses have been unable to support ubiquitous
wireless in dorms due to cost.
In some cases they have only common areas covered.
That being the case , with wireless being the preferred access method along
with a lack of local campus policy in this regard they’ve understandably
connected SOHO wireless routers.

Some our of ResHalls caused us significant problems on the wired side at the
start of this semester.
Although we enable L2 features (such as DHCP snooping/DAI/SG,MAC limits) we
weren’t able to corral an issue until implementing blocking of unknown unicast
(cisco UUFB) on the ResHall subnets.  This being a wireless forum, I’ll omit
the details but in a nutshell, the issues were ICMP redirect/ARP-amplification
related and would intermittently peg the attaching campus router’s CPU.
I think efforts to search&fix offending devices or train students is entering a
never ending battle.

As cheaper devices will not have A radios (not that many clients will either….)
co-channel interference is likely common.
Add in interference , ex. assuming a fair # of microwave ovens, and I’d think
their wireless experience is less than spectacular with no one to reach out to
for insight/support.

I feel such devices in ResHalls  add an unmanaged infrastructure that not only
underserves the users but may also have consequences for the managed
infrastructure it connects to.   I suppose by allowing them to use such
devices, one can remove themselves from wireless infrastructure/client support,
but I’d rather be in a position where we could supply the needed wireless
service in a managed way and avoid their need to use them.