Hi Adam,

My personal opinion is that NAC as a generic term has gotten almost too
ambiguous to be useful.  The Wikipedia entry for NAC says this:

Initially 802.1X was also thought of as NAC. Some still consider 802.1X as
> the most simple form of NAC, but most people think of NAC as something more.

I'm not sure by your description whether you want to continue to use
traditional NAC components after you "go straight 802.1x and Packet Fence."
 Can you elaborate on where you want to get with remediation and
enforcement?

I think many have found enforcing remediation of NAC to be problematic with
an increasingly protected and sophisticated user base.  Whether or not to
do posture assessment and enforce remediation seems to me to be the main
determinant of how much one needs to spend, rather than the vendor of the
solution chosen.  As I've mentioned before, Cisco ISE-Base is about 15k for
10k endpoints (with no cost to install an ISE failover unit), and also not
NAC, at least on the understanding that only 802.1x and guest registration
portals do not a NAC make.  I have no brief for Cisco or any particular
vendor, but this is at least one example of a major vendor with a
cost-effective option for those not wishing to do posture assessment,
remediation, and other traditional NAC things.

Mark