That's interesting, Jeff.

Your history is very similar to ours here at Liberty University, but we are
taking a slightly different approach.

We were one of Cisco's first CCA customers after their takeover of Perfigo.
Some of our people visited Perfigo during our evaluation of the product. That
was before I worked here.

We found CCA to be a management nightmare with a large number of servers. The
summer after Windows Vista was released, our semester startup was a nightmare.
CCA was requiring patches that had been superseded earlier in the week during
patch Tuesday. These patches were no longer available. Cisco TAC was not any
help. Our only option was to manually customize the CCA rules to not require
those patches.

We then started investigating alternative NAC solutions. As we started
evaluating Aruba Networks branded Bradford solution, it was obvious that to
deploy that solution, we would need to replace our Cisco fat AP wireless
infrastructure. After almost 2 years of evaluation, we deployed Aruba's 802.11n
wireless solution along with their rebranded Bradford NAC. Our NAC initially
went from 32 CCA servers in high availability mode to 4 Aruba ECS server in HA
mode. Due to scaling issues, that number increased to 10 servers and some of
our NAC manageability issues returned.

We started looking seriously at NAC alternatives, in addition to NAC solutions.
In tandem with this project was an Internet bandwidth management & chargeback
requirement. We  looked closely at PacketFence and impulse point SafeConnect
NAC solutions. We decided that wired & wireless 802.1x would be needed to
properly identify traffic for bandwidth chargeback

We tested PacketFence mainly with Cisco wired switches because they appeared to
have better support for the Cisco switches than Aruba wireless. Their solution
initially did not work with our Cisco 3750 access switches, even though they
are officially supported. We ended up submitting a patch after we were told
they did not even have any of these switches for testing.

A year ago, when we looked at SafeConnect, they did not have a user
self-registration solution. We liked their product for both Aruba wireless &
Cisco wired, but the lack of the user self-registration feature for non-802.1x
devices led us elsewhere.

One of our preferred vendors, Aruba Networks, subsequently purchased the Avenda
NAC solution and renamed it to ClearPass Policy Manager.  This summer we are
deploying ClearPass as our RADIUS, mac authentication, and registration
solution. Although ClearPass is a NAC, we will not be using that feature and
did not need to license it. We will initially use Cloudpath XpressConnect for
802.1x provisioning until Aruba's solution is improved. ClearPass will feed
connection data to our Procera PacketLogic solution for bandwidth management.

Rather than NAC, we will be using the Aruba Networks firewall roles to restrict
student users from staff. On the wired side, we will be using ACLs to restrict
internal student access. The Cloudpath initial provisioning solution allows us
to perform a one-time NAC check.

Bruce Osborne
Network Engineer
IT Network Services

(434) 592-4229

LIBERTY UNIVERSITY
40 Years of Training Champions for Christ: 1971-2011