I believe Ruckus is working on something called ChannelFly that will utilize
more than the standard 1, 6, and 11 2.4Ghz channels.

Fyi,
Brian

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Hanset, Philippe C
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:20 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: 4-channels in 2.4 GHz

On May 8, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Coehoorn, Joel wrote:

The short answer is "no". It comes down to the skirts again. Most low-end tools
to measure wireless coverage do a poor job of showing this, but my
understanding is that wifi RF is such that the skirts "flare out" quickly, and
you have nearly all of the signal overlap even at fairly low power levels.
These wide skirts makes it impractical to try for four channels... you're
almost as bad off as if you tried to use all eleven.

Joel,

You forgot the "black magic" part of wireless ;-)
We didn't go with theory back in 2000, but with measurements.
In a large auditorium  with 100+ users and 4 APs, we were getting better
throughput with 1-4-8-11
than with 1-6-11-1. We didn't play with smaller cells.

Philippe

Philippe Hanset
Univ. of TN, Knoxville
www.eduroamus.org<http://www.eduroamus.org>