Hi David,

Please forward me a copy of your research report.

Thanks,

Bruce Johnson | Network Engineering
Partners Healthcare | 617.726.9662
bjohns...@partners.org<mailto:bjohns...@partners.org>

On May 10, 2012, at 3:11 PM, "David J Molta"
<djmo...@syr.edu<mailto:djmo...@syr.edu>> wrote:

I had some students do a project this semester where they compared aggregate
throughput on a standard 3-channel model and two alternative 4-channel models.
This was Cisco 2-stream 11n, a single client running iXChariot downstream
throughput test.

3-Channel (1,6,11) 185 Mbps
4-Channel (1,4,7,11) 153 Mbps
4-channel (1,4,8,11) 98 Mbps

They also ran a 3-channel test, 4 AP's with two AP's on Channel 1, the other
two on 6 and 11. The goal here was to assess the incremental improvement in
capacity when two AP's are contending for use of a common channel. Aggregate
throughput in that scenario was 160 Mbps but the thing that was most
interesting about that test was that the two AP's did not share the channel
evenly. One AP on Channel 1 got 58 Mbps of throughput while the other got 12
Mbps. These tests appear to support the hypothesis that adding more AP's in a
dense configuration in the 2.4 Ghz band does not result in significant added
capacity when AP's are experiencing co-channel interference. It is important to
note that our tests focused on downstream throughput, which would probably be
the worst-case scenario for co-channel interference.

I had another team perform some testing of Ruckus' ChannelFly technology, which
often uses non-standard channels. In that testing, we have noted modest
improvements in performance compared to the classic 3-channel model.

I'd be happy to share the report with people who are interested.

Dave Molta