I finally got my Avahi multicast reflector working and I can say that it works
pretty well so far.  Apparently, I was getting hit with a few interface group
bugs.  However, I did have a ton of interfaces.  I think that fewer interfaces
might help out a lot.  I'm running one eight class C subnet for users and
another one Class C for the multicast devices and that seems to be pretty
stable.

The reflector has to be connected to all VLANs involved.  So what I did was
string the multicast VLAN across the campus and change the individual ports
that the AppleTVs are on to that VLAN.  However, we own our own fiber plant, so
that might not be as feasible for others.  Also, you can't have the multicast
VLAN setting on when you use the reflector.

My biggest problem with using just the multicast VLAN setting was that I had to
keep resetting the Airplay on the AppleTVs to see them.  For some reason, their
advertisements only worked for a short period of time.

I'm pretty sure that they said that the built-in gateway will L3 roam just like
the clients can roam.  I'm just annoyed that they did this preview a full three
months (best case scenario) before it even goes into BETA!

If anyone has any questions about the reflector, feel free to email me off-line
(or here of course).  I'll be glad to answer anything I can.

Eric Barnett
Senior Network Engineer/Wireless Administrator
Information and Technology Services
Arkansas State University
(870) 680-4243
ebarn...@astate.edu