From: Tristan Rhodes [mailto:tristanrho...@weber.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: Wireless Client Subnet sizing

Like it was mentioned by Anders, this excellent material is freely available
after a registration.  Funny though, it seems that you can access the file
directly:

Design and Deployment of Enterprise WLANs (BRKEWN-2010)
http://d2zmdbbm9feqrf.cloudfront.net/2012/usa/pdf/BRKEWN-2010.pdf

Cisco has the most technical content available, compared to any other network
vendor that I am aware of.

Cheers!

Tristan

--
Tristan Rhodes
Network Engineer

>>> On 7/31/2012 at 5:01 PM, in message
>>> <CAP8VL9hbfk669TT=XGMu5WdMt25_eopDZ=xvcvceohabjrr...@mail.gmail.com<mailto:CAP8VL9hbfk669TT=XGMu5WdMt25_eopDZ=xvcvceohabjrr...@mail.gmail.com>>,
>>>  Mark Duling <mark.dul...@biola.edu<mailto:mark.dul...@biola.edu>> wrote:
Luke, it looks like that presentation isn't public. Can you say more about
Cisco's recommendations on that? Or are they simply saying /21 is the maximum
recommended size? I'd also be interested in anything they said about mcast as
it relates to size.

I've setup vlan select on a test WLAN with the intent of breaking up my /21
into smaller pieces for the fall, but I've had no problems with it (though
mcast is off). But I thought I would use smaller subnets since our wireless use
has gone up quite a bit in recent years and doing it is so simple to do now.
I've heard conflicting info, and to my surprise one time a TAC engineer
suggested they should be no larger than /24, which I think is erroneous.

Mark

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Luke Jenkins