In the last dorm we built (13 stories, typical university construction), we had
to put the APs in the hallways due to non-accessible ceilings in the rooms
(hard pan bottom of the floor above forms the room ceilings). We asked early
during the design phase for something in/on the ceiling that we could mount to,
but were denied due to cost. No conduit or other exposed wiring is allowed to
allow us use our preferred mounting (in the rooms).

So, now we have dorm that holds just under 1,000 students with 134 APs. Just
took a quick look and the max number of clients that any AP has is 13, the
fewest is 0, and the midpoint is 5. Four through six clients/AP makes up about
80% of the usage. We have had no complaints since it opened this past fall.

Max clients for this group of APs over the last 3 days (the students started
classes on WED) was 1,091 with an average of 754. Bandwidth usage max was 36.5
Mbps in and 192.2 Mbps out with average usage at 6.7 bps in and 67.8 Mbps out.

For the complete Fall semester these numbers are: Clients: Max 1,286 & Avg 855,
Inbound bandwidth: Max 69 Mbps & Avg 16.7 Mbps, and Outbound bandwidth: Max
303.7 Mbps & Avg 116.6 Mbps.

Based on these figures, some students haven't fired up all their new toys just
yet since we are running below the fall numbers and I'm sure that many students
got new things to play with over the Christmas break.

APs are Cisco 1142s using WiSM2 controllers.

APs are spaced at 35' down the center of the corridors. The building is shaped
like a box with a hollow core and corridors all the way around the building.
Rooms are on both sides of the corridors (so, some have a view out to the world
and others have a view into the center courtyard.

-jcw

John Watters    UA: OIT  205-348-3992