From: Tristan Gulyas [mailto:tristan.gul...@monash.edu]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: students per AP in residence halls

Hi Tom.

The issue we've had is not one of density but one of coverage; in some site
surveys we'e conducted recently in our residential spaces, we are finding that
one AP might cover only a small amount of students, say, 6-12 reliably.

The challenges have been that our residential halls are old, double-brick with
all sorts of reinforcement. We are site surveying for 2.4GHz - we can't justify
the cost of a high density deployment to support 5GHz everywhere.

I have also noticed that HP produce a small active wall-outlet switch+AP which
is PoE powered.  It is b/g/n 2.4GHz-only (sigh) and is aimed at the hospitality
industry.

Where are people placing their APs?  We currently place them in the corridor,
however our challenge has been that the APs see each other and RRM wants to
drop the power levels.  We also run into issues if we have more than three APs
in direct line of sight.

I'm curious - how do hotels deal with this problem?  They have similar
construction and requirements.

Cheers,
Tristan
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Tom O'Donnell