On Apr 30, 2013, at 10:34 , "Becker, Jason" <jbec...@wustl.edu> wrote:

> What are others doing to get interoperability when you have multiple wireless
> vendors on campus?  We are transitioning to a new system and trying to think
> of all the issues we may run into during this.
>
> A little background about our layout… a building will have all the same
> vendor AP's but adjacent building may not, over 100 buildings on campus,
> total of 4000+ across campus, systems will have different ip pool space, and
> limited outdoor coverage.

Over our multi-year migration from one vendor to another, we went with option 1
and did our best to keep the 2 vendors' equipment as physically separated as
possible.  Worked out fine.  I'm sure there were some interference/roaming
issues, but nothing major, and it was decided that not introducing user
confusion about which SSID to use was a bigger benefit.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>