From: James Andrewartha [mailto:jandrewar...@ccgs.wa.edu.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 10 July 2013 12:18 PM
To: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
Cc: Jason Cook
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Controlling Bonjour Zones

On 27/05/13 10:02, Jason Cook wrote:
> For something like this we’d like to restrict the advertisements to
> location by building/level/room/AP, it will help it scale better for
> users devices when scrolling through the list of available devices to
> connect to like an Apple TV. Users in building 1 don’t need to see an
> Apple TV in a meeting room in building 2. Using separate SSID’s is
> also not really a scalable solution… though does work of course with a
> dedicated subnet and multicast enabled.

I've managed to do this, and it was surprisingly simple. We're an Enterasys
shop, and the trick is to get the MAC (or IP) addresses of the Apple TVs,
then map them to a policy at the core (an S4 in our case) that drops port
5353.

One thing to note is our wireless is bridged at the AP to a campus-wide flat
L2 network that the Apple TVs are also plugged in to. Enterasys have some
bridging features in wireless version 8.31 that let you move certain traffic
to a different VLAN, but I haven't upgraded yet, and we don't need it
because of our topology. Also S/K firmware 8.11 can apply policy based on
whether it's a Bonjour (or LLMNR/SSDP) query or response, but for the simple
case of Apple TVs, which only ever respond, just dropping all UDP port 5353
is enough.

In the future I'm thinking about MAC authenticating the Apple TVs at the
edge switches, then ToS marking their packets and using the ToS to drop at
the core, but for the moment it's working well enough.

Here's the config (although I used policy manager to generate it). My SE
notes that it'll only work on N/S/K switches.

set policy profile 14 name "Apple TV Block"
set policy rule admin-profile macsource 7c-d1-c3-00-00-00 mask 24 admin-pid
14 set policy rule admin-profile macsource 9c-20-7b-00-00-00 mask 24
admin-pid 14 set policy rule 14 udpsourceportIP 5353 mask 16 drop set policy
rule 14 udpdestportIP 5353 mask 16 drop

Thanks,
--
James Andrewartha