From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Lee, Steven
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:49 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] IPv6 on wireless experiences?

Jason,

We went through this a few years ago.  At the time, we had about 8000 IPv6
clients on each of our 720's.  We fought with it for about a semester until
we could replace them with SUP2T's.

I dug up some notes from 2011 and included some lessons learned/ best
practices below.  Things may have changed since then so please consult with
your SE before trying any of this.

1.      ND table size-  Once you reach the max, all traffic from additional
clients is SW processed.  We did exceed the table size, but other factors
below actually had more of an effect on our CPU.
2.      ND table reachability timer - The default ND reachability timer is
30 seconds as defined by the ND RFC.  This is too aggressive for a wireless
deployment, driving up the CPU as it tries to send out solicitations and
write to the ND table for thousands of clients.  The table rewrite chews up
CPU.  We played with the timers and settled on changing it to 5 minutes.  We
were concerned about the table limit size as once the table reaches its max,
as all traffic from additional clients is processed in SW.
3.      Mcast - the Sup720 processes mcast in SW, this means all RA's, NS's,
bonjour, etc. will drive your interrupt CPU high.  We started blocking L2
multicast at the interface before it could go to the CPU
4.      Cisco recommended that we enable IPv6 multicast on all your core
routers.  Cisco stated that this will allow MLD snooping to handle most of
the IPv6 solicitation messages (instead of sending them to the CPU).  Sounds
good in theory, but it had unintended consequences that forced all the mcast
traffic that we were blocking in #2 to get punted to the CPU.  Cisco said
bug.  You may want to follow up on this as we moved to the SUP2T
5.      Deny ICMP redirects on your client facing interfaces.  - another
measure to reduce demand on CPU resources.  Cisco may tell you to also deny
ICMP unreachables.  If your running dual stack, this is a bad idea.
6.      uRPF for IPv6 was done solely in SW on the 720.   We replaced with
appropriate ACL's (HW based)

In short, depending on the number of IPv6 clients your expecting, you may
want to consider another solution.   Id be happy to provide more detail if
you need.

steve