Cisco doesn't require you to use their switches, but there are advantages if
you do. They aren't so fantastic that you'd replace what you have, but if you
do happen to have Cisco, items like CDP or their once pre-standard POE+ are
value-add. Cisco will no doubt start shipping AP's with the new multigigabit
proposed standard, and they'll also be shipping new switches with support. If
you're in a refresh-cycle, putting the two together may get you to a place you
could otherwise not reach with a multi-vendor solution.

Jeff

>>> On Monday, March 02, 2015 at 1:37 PM, in message
>>> <CAMFTxdQm1TrGSWJNhaYDNTtCaoVCuCza=jza2zuw7crfbff...@mail.gmail.com>,
>>> Hunter Fuller <hf0...@uah.edu> wrote:

Well, I don't know why Cisco is different, but they seem to be; Cisco
wireless gear doesn't care what switch it runs on, as far as I'm
aware, as long as it can get its dot3af power from it.

--
Hunter Fuller
Network Engineer

Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Systems and Infrastructure

I am part of the UAH Safe Zone LGBTQIA support network:
http://www.uah.edu/student-affairs/safe-zone