Personally, I'm not too worried about it.

While naively adding up the wireless marketing sheets gets you to > 1Gb numbers, especially when treated with Wave 2 pixie dust, I think there are a few factors which make this a low concern.

- The wireless numbers are half duplex, while that 1Gb wired connection is full duplex. This means that while your client bandwidth is probably going to be biased download more than upload, the upload and download packets that are bottlenecked through the common air time each have their own contention-free 1Gb channel once they hit the wired network.

- Wireless throughput is *very* picky at top speeds. I've seen estimates that those magic wave 2 numbers won't be reachable more than a few meters away from the AP.

- It only takes a few legacy clients hopping onto your nice new 11ac AP to drag you back down to a fraction of your peak throughput. Given how many budget laptops are being sold today with 2 stream, 2.4GHz only 11n adapters, this problem will be with us for a long time.

Even if you do end up in a situation that legitimately needs over 1Gb, I'd be careful before relying on the LACP based solutions. Unless you're terminating your user sessions locally, all of the traffic will be going through an encapsulated tunnel between the AP and controller, which can easily end up hashing all of the traffic down one link. There are tricks to work around this (I believe Aruba opens up multiple tunnels with different endpoint IP addresses, for example), but this it's still an imperfect solution where 1 + 1 != 2.

So my guess is that we have a few years before it's a major concern, and I'm waiting on a decent answer for 2.5Gb switching before I do any real investment in a solution.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute |           - HL Mencken