We looked at a few different vendors before choosing the right Transparent
Caching solution.  It did take a little while to get an apples to apples
comparison as each of the vendors had differing terminologies for the same
thing.  Once we were able to figure that out it was easy enough to create a
matrix for all vendors comparing like information. There were 4 other big name
vendors that you all would recognize like PeerApp, Juniper, Bluecoat and
Fortinet.  We did the web conference and demos for all of the products. But
based on what our requirements were, Qwilt was the solution that we worked best
for us.

We've had a really good experience with Qwilt.  The purchasing model and price
fit our budget nicely.   The install went smoothly and it has been solid.  We
see on average 35-45% of cached savings depending on the time of the day and
utilization.

We originally looked into upgrading our bandwidth.  In our case upgrading
bandwidth to more than 1 gig per circuit meant that we would need to budget for
other network equipment upgrades.  Like firewalls and switches that would be
able to support more than the 1 Gbps interface and throughput limit.  That was
something that we wanted to hold off on for a little while longer.  Qwilt
helped us remediate that concern.  You can't just look at the cost of the
appliance in my opinion if you are looking to make a decision.  There are so
many external factors that come into play and each of your environments will
differ, so you'll have a better understanding of what those are for you.

A really great thing is that there is no real configuration needed.  We
provided the specs, the unit came already configured.  Once we identified where
the appliance would fit in the topology is was straightforward.  Because the
unit is passive and doesn't sit inline, upgrades can be done at any time.  And
the best thing about it is, we don't do the upgrades.  A certified SE will take
care of this remotely.  Their support is top notch.  I call, or email and our
SE is very responsive for any questions or feature requests.

The reporting is great.  Having the ability to export the reports to be able to
provide to management is great.  Upper level management always like to have
reports with pictures and graphs.  Lol.  It helps to really understand it more
rather just having data metrics.

All in all, Qwilt has been a good fit for our environment.  I think that if you
are in the market for a transparent caching solution, Qwilt is definitely
something you should look into further.  If you are looking to provide a better
experience to your end users for video, then it's well worth looking into it as
well.  If you are looking to reduce the amount of video of traffic going out of
your circuits to your ISP, it's worth looking into.  If you are getting
complaints about videos constantly buffering, and things of the sort, it is
worth looking at.

Reaching out to their sales to get more information about cost should not be a
concern nor should you be intimidated. It's just information. Get all the right
information upfront so that you can make an educated decision based on your
needs and ROI.  Relying on others to provide you their cost for their
implementation is most likely not a good option as their implementation and
needs could be different from yours.

Good luck to anyone who is looking at this solution.  If you are interested to
reach out directly to me, feel free to do so and I can share with you our
experiences and help answer any questions based on those experiences.

Take Care

[http://lynnda/DesktopAuthorityConsole/Images/Upload/9fcddab6-8cf5-43af-97db-6d11a7f75a10/Lynn.jpg]

Joey Rego
Network Security Administrator
Information Technology

Lynn University
3601 N Military Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33431
T: +1 561-237-7982
re...@lynn.edu<mailto:re...@lynn.edu>
+1 561-237-7000 | lynn.edu<http://www.lynn.edu/>

This email is intended for the designated recipient only, and may be
confidential, non-public, proprietary, protected by the attorney/client or
other privilege. Unauthorized reading, distribution, copying or other use of
this communication is prohibited and may be unlawful. Receipt by anyone other
than the intended recipients should not be deemed a waiver of any privilege or
protection. If you are not the intended recipient or if you believe that you
have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete all copies from your computer system without reading, saving, or using
it in any manner. Although it has been checked for viruses and other malicious
software, malware, we do not warrant, represent or guarantee in any way that
this communication is free of malware or potentially damaging defects. All
liability for any actual or alleged loss, damage, or injury arising out of or
resulting in any way from the receipt, opening or use of this email is
expressly disclaimed.