From: Joel Coehoorn [mailto:jcoeho...@york.edu]
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2015 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: Wi-Fi Sense (Windows 10)

I don't know. It seems like encryption and authorization are really two
different things that wifi networks have historically conflated.

For our network, I'd really like a better user-friendly (ie, not .1x) option
that provides good encryption, but assumes you are authorized by default. Any
authorization or policy enforcement should take place at a different level, so
it can include wired connections, too.

I haven't looked at the implementation details, but if done correctly, this has
the potential to solve an issue with large PSK networks, such that I could use
a Win10 machine to seed the key, without the normal weakness that anyone who
knows the key can decrypt anyone else's traffic.

Of course, the devil is in the details, and I found it unlikely that the key
sharing mechanism will be adequately secure, or even if it is, that enough
device types will support this fast enough to make it a reasonable option.