The challenge for "FAST" networks is when you don't have 5ghz dense enough to
cover everywhere.

What will happen is users will be walking and run into places where they drop
from 5Ghz.  And they will manually connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID.

Without having the ability to tune which network is preferred, you can run into
issues where the clients may start artificially preferring 2.4 because of the
SSID priority order on their device.  Bam, all that work and you may have made
the problem worse.

And certain devices don't let you explicitly set the priority order.  iOS takes
the last network used into account, security level, etc into account.  I don't
know if it still prefers the highest alphabetically or not. Appending "FAST"
moves a network down in alphabetical order, which is the opposite of what you
want.

Now that a user has both SSIDs, as they walk along campus and they hit a 5ghz
dead spot they will connect to the 2.4Ghz network which will remain preferred
because "It was the last network joined."  For a device that already prefers
5ghz over 2.4ghz, that's not a great way to go.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202831

Thanks
Jake Snyder

Sent from my iPhone