Since you mention in the thread that you have Cisco with Freeradius
backend, I thought I would point out that if you are doing PEAP/MSChapv2
that the bottleneck is winbind/samba and that it is based on auth's per
second, not purely auth request that show up in total request.

That being said, our heaviest loaded Freeradius box seems to be hitting max
and we have hit as high as 150 auths/sec with an average of 80/sec over a
minute window.

Stand alone Two processor Quad core Intel Xeon X5570  @ 2.93GHz with 6Gb ram

A VM single Quad core with 8Gb ram seems to be peaking at 80/sec with a one
minute avg of 60/sec

Walter Reynolds
Principal Systems Security Development Engineer
Information and Technology Services
University of Michigan
(734) 615-9438