Daniel,

Several years back Cisco had a similar setup in some transportation busses for
their Cisco Live conference to showcase some technology.  The devices would
give wifi access to passengers over cellular when away from the conference
center and when the bus got close it would switch over to the conference wifi
for the backhaul.  They also had a small camera in the bus transmitting footage
back to the demo booth.

They did this with Cisco 819 hardened routers.  Since then we have implemented
a similar setup in our police squads.  While it works great the only concern I
would have for a bus load of students is the speed of the cellular connection
and carrier download caps and overage billing.

If you want to know more about what we did let me know.

Nick Ciesinski
University of Wisconsin - Whitewater

On Nov 18, 2015, at 11:56 AM, Daniel Wurst