I think the time for new indoor DAS deployments in most buildings has
passed.  If you’ve already invested in a head-end, it may be worthwhile to
expand it.  If you haven’t done it yet, now is not the time to start.  Avoid
anything you can possibly avoid until Wi-Fi calling and SMS makes indoor
cellular coverage moot (could be a 3 to 5 years to 90% penetration in some
markets).  Keep spending low by addressing anything you can’t avoid with OTA
systems (no head-end) or femtocells.  Improve your Wi-Fi network with what
you would have spent on DAS.

I don’t anticipate in-building public safety network requirements to drive
installation of multi-provider systems.  Ignoring any specific or implied
code requirements that the two systems be separate, supporting multiple
service providers, technologies, and bands will drive up the installation
cost and short the system life-cycle substantially over what would be
required to support public safety alone. On a large scale, the price
difference will likely continue to discourage DAS for cellular coverage.

Chuck Enfield

Manager, Wireless Systems & Engineering

Telecommunications & Networking Services

The Pennsylvania State University

110H, USB2, UP, PA 16802

ph: 814.863.8715

fx: 814.865.3988