We used to... but we now don't spend much time trying to mitigate rogue APs
on our network.

Many wireless devices now come out of the box broadcasting their own SSID.
Some Rokus even disallow the turning off of their SSIDs - the only way to
get them to stop is to physically disconnect the radio. I've seen printers
that have a wireless toggle switch on the control panel that doesn't
actually turn off the wireless - the switch just toggles the blue LED.

We haven't entirely given up, however. I try to keep Residence Life up to
speed on our policies, such as wireless printers being a client on our
network, not a network unto their own, and especially let students know, as
I'm called to different areas on campus, that their neighbors' personal
devices can wreak havoc on their own wireless experience. Pitting the
students against themselves, I mean, making the students more aware of our
policies, has gone a long way.

We take less of a proactive measure and more of a tackle it when we see it
approach these days. Otherwise, there's too much tail-chasing.

I can't say that won't change in the future, but that's what we're
currently doing.

--

*dan b. lauing ii*
*Wireless Network Administrator*