We are running both an 802.1x network and an open one side by side,
ubiquitously, on all of our campuses, using Cisco WLCs.  We are using Cisco
ISE, which we employ to profile devices and put the lot of XBoxes,
Playstations, Rokus, AppleTVs, etc, which are (historically) almost never
compatible with 802.1x, automatically onto the open network.  Devices which
are not automatically put on the open network, can still join by a
click-to-continue AUP prompt--these devices are kicked off every morning at
2AM.  This one click-to-continue has the affect of keeping random devices
that are driving by on the street from casually using bandwidth, etc., but
otherwise there is nothing to prevent you from using the open network,
except the annoyance factor of having to do it every day.  You can also
self register a device, which is then tied to your AD username.  That and
the rate-limiting we put on the open network:
Override Per-User Bandwidth Contracts (kbps)
Average Data Rate: DownStream 5000 UpStream 3000
Burst Data Rate: DownStream 7500 UpStream 5000
Average Real-Time Rate: DownStream 5000 UpStream 3000
Burst Real-Time Rate: DownStream 7500 UpStream 5000

The average usage rate is about 4:1 of users on the secure network versus
the open network.  We have about 7500 unique wireless devices each day
during the normal semester.  We are in the process of also bringing up the
Eduroam SSID this spring as well.

Jess Walczak
Senior Network Analyst
Information Technology Services