Just wanted to throw this out to the educause community to see if others
are seeing this.  Although this is not ultimately a problem with Higher Ed,
the large scale RADIUS deployments in higher ed resulting in more impact

Several weeks ago we had a higher ed customer who's Radius environment
started periodically melting down.  The customer was running Cisco
Infrastructure and ACS 5.x on the back end.

In terms of changes, there were no recent changes to either the wireless
network, or RADIUS environment.  The only recent change was patches applied
to the Windows environment.

Ultimately, the cause was found to be the AD environment was taking an
excessive time responding to NTLM authentications.  There was no ultimate
fix found, but troubleshooting led us to the changing the MaxConcurrentAPI
on the windows servers. which ultimately helped enough to eliminate the
problem from a daily occurrence.

About a week later, this same customer reported to me that visiting another
university campus that their RADIUS environment was also experiencing these
issues.

Fast forward a couple weeks, I had a public utility customer seeing this
same issue.  Suddenly flags went off that this is wider spread that just a
couple Higher Ed customers.

Now i'm sitting at #ATM16 and talking with other Higher Ed engineer and a
large retail customer, it MAY be impacting non-cisco infrastructure as
well.  My assumption is anything performing

Below are some of the links that talk about this change to the
MaxConcurentAPI.  I believe these two customers made changes anywhere from
2 to 20.  I know some of these customers are on this educause   I'm not
advocating a specific value, i assume that different environments will need
different values.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ad/2008/09/23/updated-ntlm-and-maxconcurrentapi-concerns/

Hopefully this helps anyone who has started to see these issues in the last
few weeks.  Also, if you're having this, please reply and let the community
know infrastructure, radius and possibly AD environment versions.

Also, for the Cisco folks, here's a great doc that you should read.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/118703-technote-wlc-00.html