I’m reaching out since we just started having problems with users
complaining about getting messages on their Mac’s about a duplicate IP
address on the network.

When looking in the ARP table of the Cisco Nexus switches, the mac address
of their computer isn’t in there, however the IP address their machine has
is owned by another mac address even though both the Controller and Prime
doesn’t see that machine associated.

I came across an article that the Arp Cache Timeout on the 6509’s was 300
seconds, but the Nexus (7K) has bumped it to 1500-1800 seconds now.   That
jives with what I’m seeing as the disassociation time of the original
machine, and the duplicate message (within 20-25 minutes).

The Arp-Cache timeout on the Controller is set for 1800 seconds, and was
configured that way since September 2016 (Cisco WLC 8540) with no problems.

This problem just cropped up within the past two weeks and is gaining
steam.  Out of the 30 or so devices, 38 are Mac’s and the other two are
Windows 10 or Microsoft Surface tablets.

This is only happening on our Secure 802.1x wireless network.

We use Microsoft NPS for Radius and Linux DHCP/DNS.

If anyone else is experiencing these issues, or could point us in the right
direction, I would greatly appreciate it.  Our Server/Radius team is fairly
sure it’s not on their end, yet after talking with Cisco, I’m fairly
positive it’s not the Controller/Wireless.  Not finger pointing, just
asking for some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Shayne

T. Shayne Ghere