From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Bruce Curtis
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:28 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] MAC OSX Duplicate IP's

  Are your APs in Flexconnect mode and if so do you have flex connect arp
cache enabled?  If so you might want to try disabling ARP caching.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-2/config-guide/b_cg82/b_cg82_chapter_010010101.html

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCuy29143

  What model of card are the devices connected to on the Nexus 7ks?

  And how many MAC addresses are in the MAC address table (the layer 2
table, not the ARP table)?  (check  with "show mac address count”)

  We saw different symptoms when the MAC MAC address table was exceeded but
it is still worth checking to eliminate as a possible problem.

> On Feb 27, 2017, at 9:10 PM, Shayne Ghere <sgh...@fsmail.bradley.edu>
> wrote:
>
> I’m reaching out since we just started having problems with users
> complaining about getting messages on their Mac’s about a duplicate IP
> address on the network.
>
> When looking in the ARP table of the Cisco Nexus switches, the mac address
> of their computer isn’t in there, however the IP address their machine has
> is owned by another mac address even though both the Controller and Prime
> doesn’t see that machine associated.
>
> I came across an article that the Arp Cache Timeout on the 6509’s was 300
> seconds, but the Nexus (7K) has bumped it to 1500-1800 seconds now.   That
> jives with what I’m seeing as the disassociation time of the original
> machine, and the duplicate message (within 20-25 minutes).
>
> The Arp-Cache timeout on the Controller is set for 1800 seconds, and was
> configured that way since September 2016 (Cisco WLC 8540) with no
> problems.
>
> This problem just cropped up within the past two weeks and is gaining
> steam.  Out of the 30 or so devices, 38 are Mac’s and the other two are
> Windows 10 or Microsoft Surface tablets.
>
> This is only happening on our Secure 802.1x wireless network.
>
> We use Microsoft NPS for Radius and Linux DHCP/DNS.
>
> If anyone else is experiencing these issues, or could point us in the
> right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.  Our Server/Radius team is
> fairly sure it’s not on their end, yet after talking with Cisco, I’m
> fairly positive it’s not the Controller/Wireless.  Not finger pointing,
> just asking for some advice.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Shayne
>
> ----------------------------------
> T. Shayne Ghere
> Bradley University
> Wireless/Lan Network Engineer
> 1501 W. Bradley Ave, Jobst 224A
> (309) 677-3094
> sgh...@fsmail.bradley.edu
> http://www.educause.edu/discuss.

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University