This is an issue with the configuration on that particular WiFi network and not
an architectural issue with IPv6.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-your-smartphone-battery-being-drained-google-cisco-blame-ipv6-network-misconfiguration-1544393

IPv4 with NAT does have some architectural issues.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2494064/internet/ipv6-can-boost-mobile-performance--battery-life--proponents-say.html

  Measurements on properly configured networks show little difference in power.
 But these measurements were during active use.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petrescu-v6ops-ipv6-power-ipv4-00

Cloudfare’s view:

"That means that a v6-only mobile phone (looking at you, T-Mobile users) can
establish a clean path to any site or mobile app behind Cloudflare instead of
doing an expensive 464XLAT protocol translation as part of the connection
(shaving milliseconds and conserving very precious battery life)."

https://blog.cloudflare.com/always-on-ipv6/

https://blog.wirelessmoves.com/2008/03/why-ipv6-will-b.html

Check out the slide titled “IPv6 brings savings in battery life” about 8
minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RbyK0m5OY

Another RFC for network administrators.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7772

So if you find that a specific WiFi network accelerates battery drain send some
of the info mentioned in this thread to your local WiFi network administrators
but don’t tell the world to turn off IPv6.

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 7:32 AM, Mike King <m...@mpking.com> wrote:
>
> So I saw this on Reddit this morning. What do you guys think of this?
>

> https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/74jt7s/lpt_if_youre_in_student_halls_campus_or_hotel/
> http://www.educause.edu/discuss.

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University