> On Oct 9, 2017, at 1:26 AM, Frans Panken <frans.pan...@surfnet.nl> wrote:
>
> Thanks Bruce for the nice overview and +1 for the last remark.
>
> A search for battery drain and IPv6 gives you tons of hits. I tested the RA
> myth one year ago by two SSIDs with different RAs (1 SSID with 500 RA/h and
> the other 30/h). Outcome: hardly any effect. (inspite of the RFC on this
> topic where Cisco and Google blame IPv6:
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7772.txt)
>
> My experience is that mainly Samsung devices (upto but not including the S7)
> suffer from battery drain with IPv6. I saw no significant effects on iPhones,
> HTC devices and windows phones. I found an article that confirm this, blaming
> Samsung for choosing their own firmware and doing a bad job (sorry, cannot
> find the article any more).
>
> See also: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36949115
> -Frans

  The March 2 2016 entry on the bottom of the Google issue tracker page
mentions the Samsung issue.

These two articles give more history and detail.

https://lists.gt.net/nsp/ipv6/54641

http://commandline.ninja/2014/01/02/samsung-galaxy-s4-ipv6-borked/

I’m glad Samsung seems to have fixed the issue in S7 and later.

> On 06/10/2017, 18:34, "The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group
> Listserv on behalf of Curtis, Bruce" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU on
> behalf of bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu> wrote:
>

>> This is an issue with the configuration on that particular WiFi network and
>> not an architectural issue with IPv6.
>>
>> http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-your-smartphone-battery-being-drained-google-cisco-blame-ipv6-network-misconfiguration-1544393
>>

>> IPv4 with NAT does have some architectural issues.
>>
>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/2494064/internet/ipv6-can-boost-mobile-performance--battery-life--proponents-say.html
>>

>> Measurements on properly configured networks show little difference in
>> power.  But these measurements were during active use.
>>
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petrescu-v6ops-ipv6-power-ipv4-00
>>

>> Cloudfare’s view:
>>
>> "That means that a v6-only mobile phone (looking at you, T-Mobile users) can
>> establish a clean path to any site or mobile app behind Cloudflare instead
>> of doing an expensive 464XLAT protocol translation as part of the connection
>> (shaving milliseconds and conserving very precious battery life)."
>>
>> https://blog.cloudflare.com/always-on-ipv6/
>>

>> https://blog.wirelessmoves.com/2008/03/why-ipv6-will-b.html
>>
>> Check out the slide titled “IPv6 brings savings in battery life” about 8
>> minutes into the video.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RbyK0m5OY
>>

>> Another RFC for network administrators.
>>
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7772
>>

>> So if you find that a specific WiFi network accelerates battery drain send
>> some of the info mentioned in this thread to your local WiFi network
>> administrators but don’t tell the world to turn off IPv6.
>>

>>> On Oct 6, 2017, at 7:32 AM, Mike King <m...@mpking.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So I saw this on Reddit this morning. What do you guys think of this?
>>>

>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/74jt7s/lpt_if_youre_in_student_halls_campus_or_hotel/
>>> Constituent Group discussion list can be found at
>>> http://www.educause.edu/discuss.
>>>

>> ---
>> Bruce Curtis                         bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu
>> Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
>> North Dakota State University

---