From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Hales, David
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2017 10:14 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless printers and other devices in residence
halls

Our residence hall policy and campus acceptable use policy specify that
students are not allowed to connect routers, switches, or access points to the
wired network, or operate independent wireless access points in campus
facilities.  Our NAC and switches are able to handle any that get plugged into
wired drops.  We don't have too many wireless issues caused by rogue APs, but
when we detect an issue related to one, we locate them rather than mitigate
them.  We haven't run into one where the student was really trying to hide an
AP, so we can usually localize it to a room or two, and then residential life
finds them during one of their room inspections.  Usually the student is just
ignorant of the policy violation, and packs the device away.  We haven't had
any really rebellious students that insisted on bringing the device back online
at a later time.

David Hales
Network Systems Administrator
Information Technology Services