Hi,

How are people managing their static assignments of channel and power?

We’ve used DCA/TPC on all our deployments, and any tweaking/fine tuning has been done in either of those. However, we probably need to have some static assignments now that we’re deploying APs in our elevators (to limit cascading). I know the current DCA/TPC algorithms somewhat mitigates cascading, but there will still be some that we hope to avoid by having static assignments on the APs in the elevators (and maybe the closest AP outside the elevators on each floor). There should be no scenarios where the APs in the elevators ever needs to change their power level, nor their channels, so it makes no sense to have TPC or DCA on them.

I haven’t had time to test this yet, but I’m thinking of using RF Profiles;

* Specify TPC max/min power levels in such a way that it essentially is a static power level assignment * Specify DCA with only one channel available, essentially making it a static channel assignment

We have two APs in each elevator, so we’d create two RF Profiles; the TPC would be configured equally, but the DCA would have two different channels between the two profiles.

The plan is then to assign these RF Profiles to AP Groups, and then we can just assign APs to those AP Groups. This would make it easy to change APs in the future, without having to manually configure each AP.

My only concern thus far, is that it seems as if the WLCs will consider APs with different RF Profiles as “rogues”. Is that the case, even if the APs are on the same WLC? I cannot find anything in the documentation that confirms nor denies this.

--
Joachim