RF Group and RF Profile are different.

Group is a controller thing and Profile is an AP thing.

TJ McClintic

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Joachim Tingvold
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2017 9:10 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Managing static power/channel assignments?

On 1 Dec 2017, at 15:31, McClintic, Thomas wrote:
> It won't see them as rogues so you need not be concerned there. It is
> common practice to create a RF Profile variant for multiple AP Groups
> and those groups be within RF range of each other on the same
> controller.

Yeah, that was my assumption on the matter as well, but this [1] document might
disagree with that, as it states the following;

“[…] the access points will then select the beacon/probe-response frames in
neighboring access point messages to see if they contain an authentication
information element (IE) that matches that of the RF group. If the select is
successful, the frames are authenticated.
Otherwise, the authorized access point reports the neighboring access point as
a rogue, records its BSSID in a rogue table, and sends the table to the Cisco
WLC […]”.

[1]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cisco.com_c_en_us_td_docs_wireless_controller_8-2D3_config-2Dguide_b-5Fcg83_b-5Fcg83-5Fchapter-5F011000.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=6vgNTiRn9_pqCD9hKx9JgXN1VapJQ8JVoF8oWH1AgfQ&r=rYfqH_8oTvcXxRxUI3x3m3Y7Nwgir7tnuoGbdZsrUM4&m=L_8PZZQ_qdS8kDvMR3EYVv3wUD7hocNJ-WqqJDA_k7U&s=Dq-rWq0PzUBr0rmN_ZxwTVl6rCKreIupVd9-nlZA2R8&e=

> I'm confused on the DCA being one channel, you may want to reevaluate
> that. It would cause you to have separate RF Profiles per channel
> which sounds daunting. May want to just set the channel statically or
> change the DCA interval/time.

The point was to avoid having to fiddle with manually configuring
several static parameters per AP, that essentially would be identical
for each deployment. Hence the idea to “simulate” static assignments
via the RF Profiles, solely so that we can assign such static
configurations through just AP Groups assignment. This is easier than
manual configuration of each parameter (less things to configure), and
also less prone to human errors (compared to manual assignments).

I’m not entirely convinced yet; it was more of a shower thought (-:

--
Joachim

discussion list can be found at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.educause.edu_discuss&d=DwIFaQ&c=6vgNTiRn9_pqCD9hKx9JgXN1VapJQ8JVoF8oWH1AgfQ&r=rYfqH_8oTvcXxRxUI3x3m3Y7Nwgir7tnuoGbdZsrUM4&m=L_8PZZQ_qdS8kDvMR3EYVv3wUD7hocNJ-WqqJDA_k7U&s=hoa7pEzHsQEOngtEvd_cqOhShAvW_7L45uAVTx45y7c&e=
 .