Hi all,

We also have this problem for about a year now but exclusively on 3600’s,
although 2600 and 3700 are not beyond suspicion, our 702, 1140, 1810, 2700’s
seem to be fine.
It also looked like we were the only ones with this problem but there are more.
So get on to your supplier and Cisco that this is a serious issue and needs
fixing.

I seems to be at least in all 8.2 and 8.3 releases.
We have TAC-case SR 682811103 running for this and we are currently running a
8.2.166.0 based debug version testing out a possible fix.

What seems to be the case is that the flash file system gets corrupted.
Not surprisingly when the AP needs to reboot it runs into all kind of problems,
like a not working boot image, not loading radio firmware or corrupt config.
The AP drops to boot rom or gets in to a boot loop.
The only remedy is via the console do fsck or format of the flash and to reload
either the current image or the recovery image from a tftp server.

The problem is not easy to debug as there are no indications of a running AP
which is corrupt and the trigger is as yet unknown, it is however detectable
remotely.
We have developed a script which checks the AP’s and with some hidden features
re-installs the image if it is corrupted.
Of our 400+ AP3600’s there are about 10 fails a week, leave the check longer
and the numbers go up.
This script catches most corrupt AP’s before they break on a reboot, it is
highly tailored so it won’t easily translate to a different environment and of
course it is not a fix.

Regards,
Jan Freerk Popma | ICT Service Center, Networkmanagement | University of
Twente, Enschede, Netherlands
Building Citadel room 219 | T: +31 53 489 4321 |
j.f.po...@utwente.nl<mailto:j.f.po...@utwente.nl> |
www.utwente.nl<http://www.utwente.nl>